TOP TEN REASONS WHY K-12 SCHOOLS USE MAPS101Santa Barbara, CA — [May 27, 2008] — Over 3,500 K-12 schools nationwide subscribe to Maps101, the leading online geography and social studies resource. Created in 1998 by its parent company, Maps.com, Maps101 offers teachers and students access to over 4,000 maps, current events, educational games, quizzes, lesson plans, reference atlases, and more, to use as teaching and learning tools in geography, social studies, history and earth science classes.
From June 30 through July 2, 2008, Maps101 will be showcased in Booth Number 762 as exhibitors at the National Educational Computing Conference in San Antonio, Texas. During those three days, representatives from schools throughout the U.S. will have a first-hand opportunity to learn about Maps101 and all of its unique yet extremely user-friendly online capabilities and features.
Top Ten Reasons Schools Use Maps101
- Maps 101 engages students. Today's young people are wired — they use MP3 players, the Internet and text messaging to communicate. Maps101 connects with these tech-savvy students by providing them with an attention-holding, online supplement to textbooks that leads to better retention of classroom material.
- Maps101 makes learning fun. With interactive history maps and educational games and features such as bird's eye views of historical sites, teachers can provide students with assignments and lessons that not only inform, but also entertain.
- Maps101 is the perfect teacher's aide. No other single online educational resource offers the scope and depth of grade-level appropriate material as Maps101.
- Maps101 is extremely cost effective. Because Maps101 is a multi-discipline resource, an entire school benefits from its membership, not just one class. Each subscription gives all of the school's teachers and students 24/7 online access from wherever Internet service is provided.
- Maps101 content is up-to-date. Maps101 is an excellent and efficient supplement to print maps and textbooks because it is updated on a continual basis. As a result, it eliminates fact-finding doubts and the need to take additional time to visit other sites.
- Maps101 is a great way to bring the Internet into the classroom. Using a Web site such as Maps101 as an educational resource teaches students the many ways they can use online tools for research and completion of homework.
- Maps101 encourages parental involvement. With students being able to access Maps101 materials from home, parents can easily become involved with their child's education and learning.
- Maps101 saves teachers time. All materials on Maps101 are optimized for printing and projecting in the classroom — no need to resize graphics. In addition, getting information from one source — as opposed to searching through numerous websites — saves valuable time.
- Maps101 is easy to use. Both teachers and students find Maps101 a "breeze" to navigate. Free Webinar training on how to use Maps101 is available to all teachers twice a week.
- Maps provide 'visual literacy' for a 'visual generation.' Maps provide the visual references needed to fully understand the history of a country, the landscape, origin of a culture and more. Interactive materials enhance learning even more with this generation of visually oriented students.
back to Maps101 News